Windsor Park Evangelical Luthern Church Chicago Illinois

 

 

History

Windsor Park began in 1912 with the missionary call for Rev. Arthur Kaub to the Windsor Park territory of Chicago. On June 8, 1913, Pastor Kaub was officially installed in Immanuel Lutheran Church of South Chicago, their mother church. Services for the newly created church were initially held in Immanuel Lutheran and later at a store front and hall on 75th Street. The initial church building, including meeting space, Sunday school room and parsonage was completed in 1914, and in 1924 the current sanctuary, fellowship hall and kitchen were added. As an outgrowth of the Windsor Park ministry and Pastor Kaub, Chatham Fields and Markham Lutheran Churches were established. Pastor Kaub continued to serve Windsor Park until his retirement in 1948. Membership had grown from an initial 57 to over 1,200 members.

During the 1960’s, a time of much change to the membership and community, the first African American families joined the church. In 1976 the Windsor Park congregation left the Missouri Synod and joined the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Church, which later merged into the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). By 1980 membership was about 119. The Rev Robert S. Gant became the first African American pastor to serve from 1989 to 1993. Beginning in the late 1990’s, with the Rev. James Simms as pastor from 1997 until 2005, many properties maintenance issues were completed. In the interim of 2006 and 2010, Rev. Rebecca Thomas- Templeton supplied the congregation with spiritual nourishment and leadership as a part-time interim pastor. In 2010, Pastor Lawrence Clark initiated his steadfast and devoted service as a Vice Pastor. As Windsor Park faces new challenges and uncertainties, we are assured that our foundation is laid on the solid rock of Christ and we are called to serve as witness to the many blessings of the Lord.

 

 


 

 

Pastoral Timeline:

 

Arthur Henry Kaub 1913-1948

(Founding Pastor)

 

Ervin H. Hartman 1945-ca. 1957

 

W.F. Krueger ca. 1957-1962

 

R.A. Wilkening ca. 1962-1968

 

Frederick W. Reklau ca. 1968-1975

 

Edwin K. Rehrauer 1975-1978

 

C. David Vidler 1980-1989

 

Robert S. Gant 1990-1993

 

James Simms, Jr. 1997-2005

 

Worship Schedule:
Sunday School - 9:30am
Worship Service - 10:45am

2619 East 76th Street
Chicago, IL
773-768-1812